Mar 11, 2018
- In their second doubleheader matchup against Luna Community College, Dawson Community College Lady Buccaneers split again. The Lady Bucs lost the first game 14-5 and won the second 15-2.
- Game #1
- Lady Buccaneers struggled to get their offense going on Saturday. Dawson opened up scoring in the first inning. A sacrifice bunt by Sidra Montoya scored one run for Dawson Community College Softball. Luna pulled away for good with nine runs in the second inning. In the second, Pineda doubled on a 2-0 count, scoring one run, Martinez doubled on the first pitch of the at bat, scoring two runs, Cordova singled on a 0-1 count, scoring two runs, Rocha singled on the first pitch of the at bat, scoring one run, and Ortega doubled on a 2-2 count, scoring three runs. Ortega got the start for Luna. She lasted four innings, allowing seven hits and five runs.
- Jordyn O'Neal got the start for the Lady Bucs. She surrendered two runs on one hit over two-thirds of an inning, striking out two. Jayden Draper and Mckenna Sorenson entered the game as relief, throwing two and a third innings and one inning respectively.
- Draper went 2-for-3 at the plate to lead Dawson in hits. Dawson didn't commit a single error in the field. Anna Snyder had the most chances in the field with five.
- Luna tallied 13 hits. Ortega, Rocha, Ramirez, and Cordova each had multiple hits for Luna Community College.
- Coach Jim LeProwse commented, “We had some mental mistakes early in the game that cost us about 6 runs. I have to tip my hat to Luna for how well they hit the ball.”
- "Powered by Narrative Science and GameChanger Media. Copyright 2018. All rights reserved." Any reuse or republication of this story must include the preceding attribution.
- Game #2
- DCC Softball did away with Luna Community College blasting them 15-2 in the second contest.
- Luna got on the board in the second inning when Martinez hit a solo homer. In the top of the third inning, Dawson tied things up at one when Sidra Montoya's sac fly scored one run for the Lady Bucs. After Dawson scored one run in the top of the fifth, Luna answered with one of their own. Dawson scored when Kylee Hergenrider hit a solo homer. Luna then answered when Ortega singled on a 2-2 count, scoring one run.
- Lady Buccaneers pulled away for good with five runs in the fourth inning. In the fourth, Wyniah Mintz singled on the first pitch of the at bat, scoring one run, Katelyn Teixeira singled on the first pitch of the at bat, scoring one run, a sacrifice bunt by Sidra Montoya scored one run for Dawson, and Reannon Justice grounded out, scoring one run.
- Lady Bucs scored seven runs in the seventh inning. Montoya, Justice,
Hergenrider, Pettersen, Mintz, and Teixeira all drove in runs in the frame.
- Mckenna Sorenson was on the mound for Dawson. She surrendered two runs on seven hits over five innings, striking out two and walking zero.
- Deyontenno got the start for Luna Community College. She surrendered 11 runs on ten hits over three and two-thirds innings, striking out one and walking one. Quintana and Ortega entered the game from the bullpen, throwing three innings and one-third of an inning respectively.
- Dawson racked up 18 hits in the game. Katelyn Teixeira,
Jayden Draper, Trinity Anderson, Kylee Hergenrider, Lexi Pettersen, Reannon Justice, Mckenna Sorenson, and Sidra Montoya all collected multiple hits for Dawson. Kateyln Teixeira led Dawson with three hits in five at bats.
- Luna Community College tallied ten hits on the day. Ramirez and Quintana each had multiple hits for Luna Community College.
- Coach Jim LeProwse, “Really pleased with how our pitchers performed. We hit the ball very well, and our defense was very soild. Really happy with how my team is starting to come around.”
- "Powered by Narrative Science and GameChanger Media. Copyright 2018. All rights reserved." Any reuse or republication of this story must include the preceding attribution."